Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Nursery Wall Letters

UPDATE: SEE FULL NURSERY TOUR HERE.

I'm adding the finishing touches to Baby Boy #2's nursery:

Map Wall Letters



Map Wall Letters


I knew I wanted to use wall letters in his nursery and found many great ideas:


Embroidery Hoop Wall Art by Holly at In the Fun Lane



I thought these reclaimed wood wall letters from Sweet Pickins would go well with the theme I used in the nursery.



I also really liked these DIY Zinc Wall letters by Burlap and Blue inspired after these from Anthropology.  However, I'm not so sure they would have worked with the nautical / sailboat theme I already had going on. 



These textured DIY fabric wall letters from Kids Activities Blog would have been cute in the right color scheme.



This was probably the most ambitious wall art idea out there, from Honey and Fitz.  While I like the look, I decided this was out of the realm of time I wanted to spend on this particular project. 



I love these Map Wall Letters I found at Cottage Modern inspired by these from Urban Outfitters.  It fit so well with the rest of the room that I just kept coming back to this idea. 

I replicated this easy DIY wall letter idea for $18.50 vs the $72 it would have cost to purchase the letters from Urban Outfitters.  I purchased the cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby at 30% off, and these two maps from Paper Source for $4 each (although one probably would have worked):



I already had Stitch Witchery, fabric glue, Elmer's glue, and extra canvas all on hand from my DIY Sailboat Mobile.  But these can all be purchased pretty cheaply from Walmart or Hobby Lobby. 

I first traced the letters onto the maps, cut them out, and than used a little Elmer's glue and water to attach the map cut outs:



I then cut the canvas into long strips 2x the width of the cardboard letters, folded them in half, and used Stitch Witchery and ironed the two sides together.  I used fabric glue to attach the strips of fabric to the letters:



All said, it took about an hour to put together - during the boys nap time! 

Nursery Wall Letters

2 comments:

  1. Dawn ~ This is adorable with the map! You should take more photos of this because I think it looks awesome. Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! I am so, so sure now that I will adore his nursery. We actually did the dream artwork for my little guy's room. I was on string duty and Peyton did the nailing and painting. It took him about six or seven hours! But he is a perfectionist and it looks fantastic. Anyhoo, I might have to take this idea for at least his initial. So cute!

    ReplyDelete